Friday, February 16, 2007

Fancy Fonts and Coordinated Colors

The best thing about planning a Bat Mitzvah for 2008 is how far technology has come since 2005.

My favorite thing to do, when I indulge myself, is to look at invitations, plan the wording (since that's my thing), and play with fonts and colors. To me it's like an amusement park for my imagination...I just get on the ride and the fun begins!

The best website I've found is Einvites, which is listed in the sidebar. On that site, of which I have no vested interest, just an obsessive one, you can choose an invitation and customize it to look just like you would want it to with wording, fonts and colors. It's not the same as holding an invitation in your hand, so I do recommend going to a invitation dealer at your Temple or in your community so you can see and feel them in person. But this will give you an idea of how your wording will look, how your and your child's name will look in the font you've chosen and the feeling you want to evoke when someone pulls it out of the envelope.

Don't get overwhelmed, there are hundreds of font and color options. Decide if you want plain or fancy, script or block, black or bright. Play with a few and then focus on your child's name when choosing lettering. For me, I make sure that my daughter's initials in any font are what I'm looking for. You can change the fonts easily and go back and forth. Invitations set a tone and send a message. It doesn't matter how much they cost, but a pink polka-dot invitation with bubbly letter says cutesy and fun while a muted pink invitation with a script font says something else.

I've done this ad nauseum, folks. Now I only hope that when time comes, I can get C on board, because I'm quite sure she has some preteen ideas of her own...and I'm sensing those might have a little glitter on them.

No comments: