Thursday, February 15, 2007

Getting Up To Speed

It's not news that Bar and Bat Mitzvahs can get out of hand. Entrances on elephants, orchestras, meals worth hundreds of dollars per person, in my opinion, starts to outweigh the meaning and purpose.

This is a religious rite of passage for our children. Children.

Nonetheless, the big stuff is what gets all the attention and even accolades from some. I've read that even some gentile families put on extravagant faux mitzvahs so their own children aren't left out of the whopper celebrations at age 13. And I'm all about a party, don't get me wrong. I want the linens to match the balloons and the food and drink to flow freely, within the limits of my budget.

I'm not trying to impress anyone, although I don't want anyone to walk away hungry. I'm not trying to make a financial statement, although a fashion statement in terms of me being able to plan a well-run and kick-a$$ party for kids and adults and not look like something the cat dragged in in the process is OK with me too.

So the plan right now is just gather ideas and keep track of all monies spent. The caterer and the DJ have whopper deposits. We've chosen the theme and I'm regularly scoping out ways to make the theme permeate the entire evening party without getting too out of hand with the out of pocket.

Over the next year I have to coordinate a Friday night dinner for out-of-towners, the Oneg at Temple, a Saturday lunch for the same out-of-towners, the Saturday night party, a Sunday brunch, and because it's Memorial Day weekend - a Sunday night dinner if anyone is sticking around.

Add that to the studying, shopping and decision making and it's fun, but cumbersome when there is also actual life to live, work to do, a new career to launch and laundry to fold.

Wondering how it will all get done? Me too, so stay tuned.

No comments: